MrSpeakers VOCE Over-Ear Open Headphone
VOCE is an electrostatic headphone designed to deliver uncompromising electrostatic resolution and clarity with bass output that extends deep into the subsonic. Very light and comfortable, with an extremely large soundstage and a neutral voicing VOCE is our most accurate headphone.
VOCE is designed and built in San Diego, CA and comes with the following innovative features:
- Super-large 88mm diaphragm for extended low frequency output
- 2.4 micron driver, optimized for stability and resolution
- Fully dust-shielded driver
- Ultra-thin metal stators for superior sound
- MrSpeakers’ signature NiTinol memory metal headband for exceptional comfort, light weight and durability
- Detachable* custom fabricated silver-plated copper cable that is non-microphonic, round and super-supple, yet low capacitance
- Proprietary machined Teflon amplifier plug with machined aluminum housing, gold plated solid copper pins and a machined aluminum headphone connector**
- 580V “Pro-bias” compatible for use with any Stax-pro compatible amplifiers
- Italian Napa leather ear pads
- Vat-dyed US made leather headband
In the spirit of avoiding waste and making packaging functional, our attractive shipping box is actually a hardwood headphone stand and case which serves as a stylish and functional way to store a VOCE (or any) headphone.
Box features include:
- Real walnut hardwood
- Hinged clear acrylic front doors with magnetic fasteners
- A built-in integrated headphone stand
- A convenient front-slot for the cable so the headphones may be left plugged-in while stored
First, if you are new to electrostatic headphones it's essential to understand that they require dedicated electrostatic energizers or amplifiers. Energizers are typically more cost effective, while dedicated amplifiers deliver a higher level of performance.
Energizers take the output of a loudspeaker amplifier and increase the voltage swing, while adding the required bias voltage. Electrostatic amplifiers typically are dedicated to electrostatic headphones, though Malvalve produces a universal headphone amplifier that can also work witih planar magnetic and dynamic headphones.
Energizers are available from Woo Audio, iFi, and Stax, while amplifiers are available from Headamp, Malvalve, and Stax.
Second, it is not uncommon for electrostatic headphones to make a "ripping" or "zipping" sound when the diaphragm contacts the stator (this is sometimes called a "stat fart," or something similar). This typically occurs when putting the headphone on, or taking it off, or if you press on the headphone cup while listening. This is considered normal behavior and is not indicative of a problem with the headphone, unless the diaphragm doesn't release (which causes audible distortion).