The Marantz SR6014 9 channel Home Theatre Receiver comes with a long line-up of important and useful features to please most music and movie enthusiasts as well as a few surprises along the way. On the music side, Marantz have wisely continued to use their popular pre-amplifier and power amplifier designs which deliver detailed and warm audio performance. There is even a phono input for connecting a turntable and unlike some other brands, the circuit is excellent and perfectly suited to moving magnet cartridge designs. On the surround sound side it has everything you need for a first-class experience. Three dimensional Dolby Atmos and DTS:X processing, advanced video processing, 4K upscaling, plenty of analogue and digital inputs, Audyssey speaker calibration, second zone output, Apple AirPlay 2 and an 11.2 channel pre-amplifier are just some of the many features. The big addition and a nice surprise is the inclusion of Heos technology (an Aussie invention) that was first included in products from Marantz's sister company Denon. So, let’s take a closer look at some of these features.
Power Output: We have always started here as it has and probably always will be the first question customers ask. Importantly, the Marantz SR6014's amplifier section features discrete high current output devices on all nine channels with all channels configured identically. Rated at 110 watts in stereo mode at 8 Ohms, the SR6014 has the ability to drive lower impedance 4 Ohm speakers on all channels. You can setup a 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 3D experience without the need of an additional external power amplifier although choice of speakers would need close attention. The fact is that there is only so much a manufacturer can fit into the cabinet before it simply becomes too big and cumbersome. There is also the problem of ventilation and heat dissipation, so if you want to connect lots of large, inefficient speakers then an additional 2, 3 or 5 channel power amplifier may be necessary.
Surround Sound: The SR6014 includes but goes beyond regular surround sound by adding the latest immersive surround sound formats namely Dolby Atmos & DTS:X.
Dolby Atmos: Dolby Atmos surround sound technology dispenses with channel-based coding in favour of more advanced object-based coding, giving the soundtrack designer the ability to precisely place sounds anywhere in the 3-dimensional space. Now you can enjoy this same award-winning technology at home with the SR6012 that lets you to connect a 5.1, 5.2, 7.1 or 7.2 surround sound speaker system and 2-4 additional overhead speakers or 2-4 Dolby Atmos elevation speakers for the ultimate home theatre experience.
A 5.1.2 configuration is based on a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
A 5.1.4 configuration is based on a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
A 7.1.2 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
A 7.1.4 configuration is based on a more advanced 7.1 speaker layout complemented by 4 overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (two of the overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers must be powered by an external 2 channel amp).
DTS:X: The latest immersive surround sound system, DTS:X features object-based audio coding that lets the soundtrack designer place sonic elements anywhere in the 3D acoustic soundspace, and provides for overhead speakers to deliver a stunning surround sound experience. Along with DTS:X decoding, the SR6014 features DTS-HD Master, DTS Neural:X and DTS Virtual:X which creates three-dimensional effects without height speakers.
Built-in Bluetooth & Wi-Fi: Featuring Bluetooth & Wi-Fi (2.4/5GHz) wireless streaming connectivity, the SR6014 uses with an advanced dual antenna RF transceiver system for robust, error-free streaming even in congested urban environments. Connect to the internet through your home Wi-Fi network (or with a hard-wired connection via the Ethernet port) and enjoy your favourite music from streaming services such as Spotify Connect. Alternatively, choose from thousands of internet radio stations around the world. Apple AirPlay 2 provides an instant wireless connection to your iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad, Mac OSX computers and other devices running iTunes The SR6014 is also able to stream your music from home computers and NAS devices via your home network.
Latest HDMI Connectivity; HDCP 2.2 Compatible: With 8 HDMI inputs, including one conveniently located on the front panel for quick connection of video sources, the SR6014 has an advanced video section supporting the latest HDMI specification, including 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, CEC, ARC & eARC, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 & Dolby Vision pass-through support on every input, with pass-through for HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma), a new broadcast HDR format. eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) supports Dolby Atmos or DTS:X from your TV apps with a single HDMI connection for the simplest setup.
It also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content, making it ready for the next generation of Blu-ray disc players, set-top boxes and 4K Ultra HD streams and downloads. The video processor can also upscale SD and HD video to 4K Ultra HD. Certified by the Imaging Science Foundation, the SR6014 features a full suite of video calibration controls (for use by an ISF technician), along with ISF Day/Night video modes.
High Resolution Audio Support: Discover the incredible fidelity of high-resolution audio tracks: the SR6014 can decode AIFF, FLAC and WAV lossless files at up to 24-bit/192-kHz, plus ALAC/Apple Lossless at up to 96kHz/24bit, as well as SACD-quality DSD2.8MHz and 'Double DSD' 5.6MHz. You can play these files via the front panel USB port or stream them to the SR6014 from network sources. You can also listen to other popular file types such as MP3, and the SR6014 supports gapless playback, for seamless replay of everything from dance mixes to opera.
Dual Subwoofer Outputs: A single subwoofer demands optimum placement within the room for the best bass response: depending on its location, the low-frequency response at the main listening position can be uneven with audible peaks and dips. The SR6014 supports two subwoofers: used in different locations, these will even out the low-frequency response for more accurate bass anywhere in the listening area.
Enjoy your music anywhere in your home. This is no longer difficult or expensive to do. With built-in HEOS technology, the SR6014 can be easily integrated into a superb wireless multi-room audio system. Stream music to any of the various HEOS wireless speakers in different rooms and control each room's speakers independently with the free HEOS app. The HEOS app for Apple iOS (7.0+) & Android OS (2.3+) lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room. You can play music from your own personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora, Spotify and Tidal, just to name a few.
Whatever your family's entertainment needs, the SR6014 delivers: you can enjoy 5.2 or even 7.2 channel surround sound in the main room, and at the same time play stereo sound from another source in different part of the house. Here's one suggestion. Simply connect a pair of stereo speakers to the multi-room amplified outputs, or hook up a separate stereo amp and speakers to the Zone 2 pre-outs, and you can still enjoy full 7-channel surround sound in the main room.
24-Bit/192kHz DACs: The Marantz SR6014 utilises the latest reference-class 32-bit AKM AK4458 D/A converters on each of the unit's seven channels for exceptional sound quality. The 192-kHz sampling and 24-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The Marantz SR6014 is equipped with a high-resolution Analog Devices (ADSP21487) 32-bit Digital Signal Processor (DSP). All elements of the Surround Processor are optimized to the highest standards by the use of selected high performance and discrete components, particularly the A/D and D/A converters and the sophisticated DSP surround decoder.
Remote App: The new Marantz AVR Remote App lets you control the Marantz SR6014 AV receiver using your Apple (iOS 7.0) or Android (OS 4.0+) device. From this free app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android device, you'll be able to control the Marantz AV receiver's basic functions; such as power, volume, input, surround modes, and other settings. You'll also be able to control separate Zones of the receiver, as well as navigate the AV receiver's network and Internet content from the app. In addition, you get you get unique features likes a landscape orientation control screen for tablet devices, the ability to create playlists and control over a Marantz Blu-ray player.
Amazon Alexa Voice Control: Enjoy hands-free control with Amazon Alexa and your voice. Adjust the volume, skip to the next track, switch inputs for your different media players and more — “Just Ask.” Download the HEOS Home Entertainment Skill to enable Amazon Alexa voice commands for SR6014, HEOS devices and other selected Marantz products. An Amazon Echo device (available separately) is required.
Bluetooth To Headphones: This will be added via a new firmware update in late October 2019. With this update the Marantz NR1710 will be able to transmit audio straight to your Bluetooth headphones via Bluetooth Transmission.
Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization: Add some height to your audio. Perfect for home cinema the Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization creates overhead effects from 2.0 to 7.1 speakers.
HDMI automatic source input renaming: Enables the user to change the source devices model number automatically. E.g. changes 'Blu-ray' to the source devices model number automatically
Sports Bar Mode: With this new mode you can assign one HDMI to more than one input, then listen to the audio from an optical or analogue input while watching the HDMI image. For example, you can watch Foxtel while listening to music from Apple TV or a Turntable.
‘5.1 / 7.1 / Atmos’ in Main Zone While Zone 2 in Stereo: Main theatre stays in multi-channel surround while same source plays in zone 2 in stereo
Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC): Now you can enjoy Dolby Atmos sound from your Netflix app in your TV.
All-Zone Stereo: This option has been added to Quick Select Memories.
- Design: 9-channel amplifier with surround sound and radio tuner
- Stereo Power Output: 110 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (20-20kHz) at 0.08% THD
- Surround Sound Power Output: Lower depending on how many and specifications of additional speakers
- Dolby and DTS Surround Sound Decoding:
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X for more enveloping home theatre sound
- Supports 5.1.2, 5.1.4 and 7.1.2 Atmos installations
- Dolby Vision: Also decodes HDR 10
- Video Upconversion: Up to 1080p and 4K for analogue and HDMI sources
- Audyssey "Platinum" Speaker Calibration And System Optimization Includes:
- MultEQ XT32 auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound with enhanced surround performance for as many as eight seating positions (expandable to 32 seating positions with a professional installer)
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to keep listening levels steady
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
- Audyssey Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
- Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for dual subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Audyssey MultEQ app for further audio customisation (paid app; not free or included)
- HEOS Whole Home Audio: Built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
Digital Music Features
- Wi-Fi: Built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Includes support for Pandora and free internet radio streams with vTuner (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- Apple AirPlay 2: Enjoy streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- USB Port: Front-panel USB input for connecting an iPod, iPhone or thumb drive
- Direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analogue converter for better sound
- Digital Music: Plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6MHz .dsf files)
- MDAX2 (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander): Delivers better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
Multi-Room Audio/Video Features
- Dual-Room/Dual-Source Output
- Amplifier assign function lets you use Height 1 and Height 2 speaker outputs for Zone 2, Front B, or bi-amping front speakers
- Line-Level & Powered Output For Zone 2: Connect an additional receiver, amplifier, powered speakers and have either 5.2 or 7.2 in Zone 1
- HDMI Dual-Zone Switching: Watch video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2 Output: Supports 2nd zone output from digital sources
Audio Performance Features
- Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module (HDAM): This offers improved dynamic range and detail while reducing noise
- Current Feedback Circuit: Excellent for accurate, natural sound at all volume levels
- Pure Direct Mode: This turns off unused circuitry for cleaner audio signals
- Bi-Amp Capability: For use with compatible front speakers by reassigning "height" channels
- HDMI A/V Switching: 8 x inputs (includes 1 front-panel input), 2 x outputs
- HDCP 2.2 Technology: Ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all HDMI inputs and outputs)
- HDR-Compatible: Delivers extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- HDMI support for CEC, ARC & eARC (Enhanced ARC)
- Component Video Switching: 2 x inputs, 1 x output
- Composite Video Switching: 4 x inputs, 1 x output (includes front-panel input)
- Digital Audio Inputs: 2 x Optical and 2 x Coaxial
- Analogue Inputs: 5 stereo RCA audio inputs
- Phono Input: Connect a turntable with Moving Magnet cartridge
- Preamplifier Inputs: 7.1 channel
- Preamplifier Outputs: 11.2-channel preamp outputs include outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- USB Port: Front-panel USB
- Speaker Outputs: Terminals for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Centre, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R)
- Note, the Receiver can only power a maximum of 9 channels at once
- Height speakers can be reassigned for Zone 2 or bi-amping compatible front speakers
- Ethernet Port: Allows wired network connection
- Control Systems Input: Connect to Control4, Crestron and other home automation systems
- Headphone Jack: Full size 6.3mm on front panel
- Power Cord: Detachable power cord allows for easy upgrade
- 4K/60p And 3D Video Pass-Through: Yes
- Marantz Remote App: Lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant: Guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- OSD: Intuitive, full-colour on-screen guide
- Smart Select Function: Four buttons for one-touch power-up, source selection and recall of volume and Audyssey configuration
- Video Select: Lets you listen to music while watching video from a different source
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: Allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- Radio: AM/FM Tuner built in. Reception and quality variable depending on location. You may need an external antenna (sold separately)
- Remote Control: System type included (RC035SR)
- Power Consumption: 680 Watts
- Network Standby Consumption: 2.7 Watts
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 440 x 161 x 398 (440 x 229 x 398 with antenna vertical)
- Nett Weight: 12.8kg