The Marantz AV7704 11.2-channel preamp/processor combines outstanding audio and video processing with the very best and most desirable features including Dolby Vision and HEOS technology.
The Marantz AV7704 works seamlessly with the latest 4K TVs and Blu-ray players, even upscaling HD and standard definition video to 4K. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X put you in the middle of the action with realistic, multi-dimensional surround sound. Stream music from different sources and enjoy high-resolution music in your living room, or in any room of your house, thanks to built-in HEOS technology.
Full wireless connectivity is provided by both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Apple's Airplay is supported for simple wireless music streaming. High resolution audio formats and playback are fully supported for incredible fidelity. There is even a Phono MM input - ideal for those precious vinyls.
Equipped with the full Audyssey Platinum suite of advanced DSP algorithms, the AV7704 features Audyssey MultEQ XT32 automatic room acoustic correction. With the supplied measurement microphone, MultEQ XT32 analyses each speaker's output (including the subwoofers) at up to 8 measurement locations and generates precision digital filters that optimize each channel for the correct frequency and time domain response. Additionally, Audyssey Dynamic Volume smoothes out annoying jumps in volume (such as TV commercials), letting you listen at lower levels and still enjoy clear dialogue, music and sound effects. Audyssey Dynamic EQ provides precision tonal tailoring for full range clarity at any listening level.
Since the beginning of our quest to enjoy music at home, it was common audiophile practice to separate pre-amplifier and power amplifier sections allowing consumers to choose different combinations of power and pre-amplifier. However, there was and still is another huge benefit. Not only can power supplies and circuit layouts be optimised for their specific purposes, but removing the internal amplification allows all the design and engineering under the lid to be dedicated to producing the purest possible sound, and thus avoid any possible interference from powerful amplifier sections creeping into the delicate digital and analogue signal sections. Delegating the amplification duties to a separate component allows the AV7704 AV preamplifier to keep a healthy distance between noise-inducing high voltage/high current circuits and sensitive low-level circuits. This means that the radio frequency and electromagnetic interferences that are found in most AV receivers simply don't exist in a preamplifier/processor, or are reduced by several orders of magnitude. The result is less distortion and less signal degradation in general. The AV7704 features both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) preamp outputs.
- 11.2 Channel Balanced XLR Preouts: If your power amplifier is equipped with balanced XLR inputs, then use the AV7704's balanced XLR preouts. The AV7704's 11.2 channel balanced XLR preouts consist of Front L/R, Centre, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R, Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2. Balanced connections guard against induced noise and allow long cable runs without compromising sound quality.
- 11.2 Channel Unbalanced RCA Preouts: If your power amplifier is not equipped with balanced XLR inputs and only offer unbalanced RCA inputs, then use the AV7704's unbalanced RCA preouts. The AV7704's unbalanced RCA preouts consist of Front L/R, Centre, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height 1 L/R, Height 2 L/R, Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2.
Note: The Marantz AV7704 AV Surround Preamplifier does not feature a built-in amplifier and requires a separate power amplifier, such as the Marantz MM8077 seven-channel power amplifier (sold separately).
Surround Yourself with The Ultimate Audio Experience
Dolby Atmos Adds A New Dimension to Sound: Dolby's latest surround sound technology brings a new level of immersion to your home theatre. By employing in-ceiling speakers or special Dolby-enabled upward-firing speakers that reflect sound off your ceiling, Dolby Atmos offers a greater sense of space, for sound that's more three-dimensional. Already at work in film production studios and many movie theatres, Dolby Atmos represents a huge step in putting more "theatre" into your home theatre.
The AV7704 offers multiple setup options for Dolby Atmos. For instance, you can add four overhead or up-firing speakers to a conventional seven-channel system — this is referred to as a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos setup and is the recommended standard for the best experience. Here's a breakdown of all the Dolby Atmos speaker configurations this pre/pro support:
- 7.1.4 - seven conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and four overhead or height speakers (recommended). Also referred to as 11.1
- 9.1.2 - nine conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
- 7.1.2 - seven conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
- 5.1.4 - five conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and four overhead or height speakers
- 5.1.2 - five conventional surround speakers, one powered subwoofer, and two overhead or height speakers
You can use as many as four subwoofers with any of these configurations.
Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your two channel and multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1 channel, 7.1 channel or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theatre by widening the listening "sweet spot".
Auro 3D: Putting you in a cocoon of life-like sound. Auro-3D elevates the home theatre experience to amazing new levels by delivering the excitement of three-dimensional sound for music, games, broadcast, and films while enhancing your existing audio-visual collection, thanks to Auromatic up-mixing engine.
Build A Whole House Music System With HEOS
With built-in HEOS technology - which was developed right here in Sydney Australia - the AV7704 becomes a part of the HEOS wireless multi-room music network that enables you to enjoy your favourite music anywhere and everywhere around your home. Stream music to HEOS wireless speakers in different rooms, and control each room's speakers independently with the free HEOS app. The app lets you control playback, browse music sources, and select which rooms you want to use. Play the same music throughout your home, or listen to something different in each room. You can play music from your own personal library, internet radio, and popular streaming services like Pandora, Spotify and Tidal just to name a few.
Smartphones, Tablets, Computers & Online Music Services All Play Here: If much of your music listening takes place in the digital domain, you'll be impressed with the AV7704's many digital music features. Built-in Wi-Fi makes it easy to connect to your home network. From there, you can play music wirelessly from networked computers and NAS drives. Apple users can stream tunes from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or a computer running iTunes with AirPlay. Or, connect your iPod or iPhone to the front-panel USB port and control it with the included remote.
Other Quality Features
The Marantz AV7704 uses a high-speed current feedback amplifier circuit for its preamplifier so that audio signals from a Blu-ray Disc player and other equipment that support high-definition audio formats can be listened to with high fidelity. Current Feedback technology offers faster signal handling and extended frequency range. Current feedback circuits track rapid sonic changes more accurately and thus sound more natural. Current feedback topology insures astounding accuracy and control even under high-drive conditions. The AV7704 also utilises Marantz's proprietary HDAM (Hyper-Dynamic Amplifier Module) circuits for dynamic music and soundtrack reproduction. HDAMs combine the short signal path advantages of ICs (integrated circuit) and op-amps (operational amplifier) with the superior sound quality of separate circuit components. Because HDAMs are discrete designs, Marantz engineers are free to choose the parts best able to preserve the sonic details of your favorited sources.
Optimised Components: The carefully-optimized audio/video signal paths rest on separate circuit boards for maximum performance as well as isolation from interferences generated by high-speed video processing. The Marantz AV7704 is also equipped with a Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer that is capable of reducing jitter and phase noise that negatively affect sound quality. The Hybrid PLL Jitter Reducer improves the sound localization, reproducing a natural sound field. In addition, Marantz surround preamplifier employs a high current linear power supply with an EI core power transformer for high-quality sound playback. There is also a 192kHz/32-bit D/A converter on each of the unit's seven channels for exceptional, audiophile-grade sound quality. The 192kHz sampling and 32-bit word length capabilities of the DACs allows you to play high-resolution recordings and hear the increased clarity, detail and dynamic range of those recordings.
Dolby Vision at Home
The Marantz AV7704 is compatible with Dolby Vision - a powerful cinema technology that can, with a compatible TV, transform your TV experience. It brings entertainment to life with dramatic imaging—incredible brightness, colour, contrast, detail, and dimensionality. And with the advanced capabilities in Dolby Vision, you'll see there's more to the story than generic HDR can reveal. Makers of movie and TV entertainment encode or "master" their content in a special HD format to take advantage of new technology in your TV. Two HDR formats are available for televisions today: Dolby Vision, engineered by Dolby, and generic HDR, also known as HDR10. The television needs to have the right HDR technology to play content mastered in these formats. Dolby Vision imaging combines 12-bit colour depth with intelligence that maximizes your display's performance. Movies and TV shows mastered in Dolby Vision and played on a Dolby Vision enabled TV pop with incredible brightness, colour, contrast, detail, and dimensionality that 10-bit generic HDR can't match. Click here to read more.
- Dolby and DTS surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos Processing: This is for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound; compatible with 7, 9 or 11-channel setups
- Auro-3D Ready Decoder: Create three-dimensional sound fields with Auro-3D soundtrack mixes and a 10.1-channel speaker configuration
- Dolby Vision: Transforms your TV experience with dramatic imaging—incredible brightness, contrast, and colour that bring entertainment to life before your eyes.
- eARC: Enhanced Audio Return Channel supports the transmission of 3D audio from your TV apps with a single HDMI connection for the simplest setup. This feature will be enabled via a future firmware update.
- Video Up conversion (up to 4K): For analogue and HDMI sources
- Heos: Built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Audyssey "Platinum" speaker calibration and system optimisation includes:
- MultEQ XT32 advanced auto setup and room calibration uses high-resolution digital processing filters to deliver balanced, dynamic sound to as many as 8 listening positions (expandable to 32 with a professional installer)
- DSX (Dynamic Surround Expansion) optimizes "front height" or "front width" speakers to create a larger soundstage with more engaging surround effects
- Audyssey Dynamic Volume mode to keep listening levels steady
- Audyssey Dynamic EQ for fuller sound at lower listening levels
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for dual subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
Digital Music Options
- Built-in Wi-Fi: Listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services - includes support for Pandora and free Internet radio streams with vTuner (subscription required for some services)
- Spotify Connect: This lets you play Spotify's streaming music library through the receiver via your smartphone or tablet (requires Spotify app and a premium subscription)
- Apple AirPlay: Stream music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- Built-in Bluetooth: Enjoy wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Front-Panel USB Input: Connect an iPod, iPhone or thumb drive
- Direct digital connection for iPod or iPhone bypasses the device's digital-to-analogue converter for better sound
- Hi-Res Music: Plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz .dsf files)
- DLNA Certified: For streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- M-DAX: Includes (Marantz Dynamic Audio eXpander) for better sound from MP3s and other digital music files
- Three-room/three-source output
- Line-level outputs for Zones 2 and 3
- Zone 2 HDMI output for watching video content from different sources in two rooms simultaneously
- Component and composite video outputs can be assigned to Zone 2
- XLR Outputs: 11.2 channel balanced XLR outputs
- RCA Outputs: 11.2 channel unbalanced RCA outputs
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 8 inputs (includes 1 front-panel input), 3 outputs
- HDCP 2.2 technology on all inputs and outputs ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- All inputs support 4K Ultra HD 50Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR), 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 wide colour gamut pass-through
- Component Video Switching: 3 inputs, 2 outputs
- Composite Video Switching: 4 inputs, 2 outputs (includes front-panel input)
- Digital Audio Inputs: 2 optical and 2 coaxial
- Analogue Stereo Audio Inputs: 6 (including front-panel input)
- Balanced XLR audio inputs: 1 pair
- Phono Input: Yes, for connecting a turntable
- 7.1 Channel Preamp Inputs: Yes
- Ethernet Port: Recommended for wired network connection
- RS-232C, IR, remote, and 12-volt trigger connections for use with external controllers
- Headphone Jack: On front panel
- Power Cord: Detachable type allows for easy upgrade - a must on a product of this calibre.
Audio Performance Features
- DAC: High quality 32-bit/192kHz
- Current Feedback: Fully discrete current-feedback HDAM-SA2 modules
- Chassis: Heavy copper-plated chassis provides superior structural strength and isolation from vibration and interference
- Feet: High-density anti-vibration feet with felt insulators
- Video Pass Through: 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- Fully HDCP 2.2 Compliant. Ready to play back copy protected 4K content.
- Free Marantz Remote app: This lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant: Guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- OSD: Intuitive, full-colour on-screen guide
- Video Select: Lets you listen to music while watching video from a different source
- HDMI standby pass-through: Allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- AM/FM Tuner: Built-In
- Remote Control: System remote included
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 440 x 185 x 389mm
- Weight: 10.1kg