Chord 6000 MKII
Brand Chord Electronics
SPM 6000MkII Reference mono power amplifier
SPM 6000 Reference Mono Power Amplifier (images of MkII version coming soon)
The Chord SPM 6000MkII Mono power amplifier has been designed with the same no compromise philosophy as the Chord Flagship Reference Amplifier the SPM 12000MkII. Following the styling of the SPM 12000MkII the SPM 6000MkII is the largest mono amplifier we have ever built with a performance that is truly spectacular. Standing 20cm tall and 66cm deep this amp delivers a performance comparable to the SPM 12000MkII. The secret to this level of musical performance and dynamic ability is the power supply.
High Frequency Power Supplies
The heart of Chord's amplifier is based on technology directly evolved from the aerospace industry where incredibly high power outputs are demanded from very efficient designs in small spaces. Over twenty years of research and development have enabled us to complete our 5th generation of power supply. We are proud to be utilising spread spectrum, phased clocking, high frequency auxiliary and other advanced technologies, not normally found outside of the aerospace industry. The SPM6000MkII uses three of our 5th generation 4kW power supply units run in a parallel configuration but working individually. Now in MkII form, numerous engineering refinements have been made to the SPM 60000 to increase its sonic performance, flexibility and lifespan. These include:
• A new front panel design.
• A new power-control and sequencing board.
• A new rear connector plate that allows for third-party power connectors and the use of new beautifully made, British-designed, heavy-duty, gold-plated, insulated speaker terminals.
• Refinements to the filter components of the subsequent amplifier stages, to insure greater high-speed performance whilst maintaining good overall stability.
• Internal upgrades including numerous circuit board and earthing changes. These were implemented to improve high-current power flow across the units and help extend the product's lifecycle.
• A reduction of the value of the emitter balancing resistors in the first long tail pair in the second intermediate stage of the amplifier. This allows for a faster overall response and improves the square signal performance of the very high frequencies of the amplifiers.
Advanced Design, Batch Manufacturing and Test
Ultra high performance networked Silicon Graphics workstations, schematic capture; ASIC design, SPICE simulation, mechanical design and morphing are used to develop products, such as our latest version mono amplifier. All metal work goes directly from computer to metal cutting, as does the printed circuit board design. All our designs are proved with the very latest Audio-Precision System Two Cascade development test set, and our production testing is with the advanced Miller Audio Automatic Audio Test System.
Power Amp Section
Output Power: 650W rms per channel @ 0.05% distortion into 8 Ohms
1300W rms per channel into 4 Ohms
Dynamic Headroom: 850W rms per channel into 8 Ohms
1600W rms per channel into 4 Ohms
Frequency Response: 3dB, 10Hz to 90Khz (8Ohms)
Signal To Noise Ratio: Better than -103dB, 'A' weighted two thirds
Output Impedance: 0.03 Ohms
Output Inductance: 2.6mH
Output Connections: 4 x gold plated high current WBT connections
Slew rate: 70V per mS, 1kHz 20V square wave
Dimensions: 480mm (w) x 668mm (d) x 180mm (h)
The unit is supplied with 8 leg Integra as standard but can be specified with 12 leg Integra at extra cost.
1500 W RMS into 4 Ohms
3 Kilo W RMS into 2 Ohms
2 x RCA-Phono single ended inputs